Joseph Pack, Sr.

1748 – 1827

Joseph Pack, who originally founded the town of Packsville, changed to Paxville in 1902 because of
confusion with Parksville.


Joseph Pack and his wife, Louisa Alexandria Pack, arrived in America from England in the year 1770. At that
time Joseph was twenty two years old and Louisa was eighteen years old. It is possible that Isham, their
oldest child, arrived in America with them.

Joseph was the son of William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland. William Augustus was the son of King
George II of the House of Hanover. George II ruled England from 1683 to 1760. William’s brother Fredrick,
Prince of Wales, bore a son who became King George III, succeeding his Grandfather to the Throne in
1760. William met the daughter of a Scottish soldier, Mary Ann Packard, by whom he is said to have had
three illegitimate children. One of them was Joseph. Joseph’s mother was not of royal blood so the marriage
was of English Common Law or Morganic. Joseph was not allowed to use the royal name so he chose his
mother’s surname and shortened it to Pack. He married Louisa Alexander. When Joseph and Louisa came
to this country, they took part of Joseph’s mother’s name and called themselves Pack.

Joseph Pack became one of the most extensive land holders in the Carolina Low County, having acquired in
total over 10,000 acres of land, some of which were grants from King George III of England, Joseph’s first
cousin. Others were from the State of South Carolina. Joseph was the largest land owner in this area where
a community of settlements soon sprang up to form Packsville (later changed to Paxville). Paxville is the
oldest town in Clarendon County. It was found by Joseph Pack, Daniel Kelley, and Henry (?) Bird. Daniel
Kelley married Joseph Pack’s daughter Mary. Daniel had the first grant of land in the Packsville Community.
King George III granted to Daniel Kelley 150 acres of land on March 7, 1767. This land was called Fishing
Creek. It was bounded on all sides by vacant land. Daniel had possession of this land on February 1, 1768
(amo dom).

Joseph Pack is buried in the Paxville Cemetery. This cemetery was set off as one acre near Josph’s
homesite and has been used as a family, church, and community cemetery since that time. The cemetery
was expanded several years ago when the town bought approximately seven acres. It is not known who was
the first person to be buried here. Joseph Pack died in 1827 and his wife Louisa followed in 1832. Family
tradition tells us the early grave markers were made of heart of pine, however, these were destroyed by a
woods fire. There is a marker honoring Joseph Pack’s service with the South Carolina Militia during the
Revolutionary War.

Joseph received two land grants from King George III. They were:

In 1770 he received a grant of 100 acres situated on a branch of Enoree River called Cedar Shoals Creek.
The waters of Broad River bounded South Westwards on William McDowell’s land, Westwards on James
Bright’s land, North Westwards on land claimed by Thomas Jones, and the other sides on vacant lands.

In 1769 he received a grant of 350 acres in Craven County on a branch of the Tyger River. This branch was
called Rocky Branch and it bordered on all sides by vacant land.

To the best of researcher’s knowledge, these are the only grants from King George III, and neither are in
Sumter District, but are in the Up Country of South Carolina.

Joseph Pack from James Geary November 24, 1775 100 acres in Craven Co., SS of Tygar River Bounded
SW by J.P. & Edw. Burding; SE by Sam’l Dubose & Mr. Blackstaff.

In 1785, Joseph purchased 350 acres of land from the State of South Carolina for 8 Pounds 3 Shillings
Sterling in the District of Camden in the Fork of Black River on Surry Branch.

In 1788, Joseph purchased 248 acres situated in the District of Camden on the Southwest Side of
Pocotaligo on Inigo Branch bounded by lines running N.W. by Edward Wett’s land, N. E. and S. E. by John
Hatfield’s land, and S. W. by Benjamin James’ land.

On September 7, 1793, Joseph acquired (means unknown) 140 acres of land situated in the District of
Beaufort on Cedar Branch off the waters of the Comawhatchie.

In 1805, South Carolina granted Joseph Pack 139 acres of land in the District of Sumter on the East Side of
Sammy’s Swamp, off of the waters of Black River, and bordered by lines running on Thomas Sumter’s land,
Bennett’s land, and William Murrell’s land.

In 1805, South Carolina again granted Joseph Pack 388 acres of land situated in the District of Sumter, on
the East Side of Sammy’s Swamp, off of the waters of Black River, bounded by lines running on William
Murrell’s land, and West and North on Joseph Pack’s land, and East not know.

In April of 1806, South Carolina granted Joseph 195 acres situated in the District of Sumter near Indian
Camp Bay and the waters of the Black River. All of these grants are documented in the State Archives in
Columbia, South Carolina.

Thirty five years passed from the time Joseph arrived in South Carolina and the time that he first acquired
land around Sammy Swamp in 1805. The U.S. Census of 1800 lists Joseph Pack as being a resident of
Sumter County with four sons and four daughters. It is most possible that Joseph owned land there prior to
1805, but the records have been lost or misplaced. Or he and his family lived in the Up Country before
becoming a permanent resident of Sumter District. The land grants in Paxville may have been given Joseph
as a result of his Revolutionary War service.

Joseph and Louisa raised a large family of six boys and six girls. Joseph and his wife are buried near
Paxville Cemetery near the branch.